Monday, October 22, 2007

Rugby Champions...

I know most of you don't follow rugby; I know I didn't.
Since I've been here, I've discovered that it is one of the coolest sports ever and South Africa has a really good team- The Springboks. South Africa is a part of the Tri-Nations Cup with Australia and New Zealand. In the rugby world, these teams are the corn. But as a Tri-Nations Cup member, South Africa has only won the world cup back in 1994.
The Springboks made it to the finals against England and we had a big party on Saturday. The game itself was actually not that good. No one scored any Tries- "Touchdowns"- but the final score was 15 to 6 in our favor.
It was a neat experience to be in this country for their second world cup win. The recent surge of pride in this country was interesting. We went to the main shopping mall in town and EVERYONE was wearing a Springbok jersey.

Just for your information; I know most people don't care about Rubgy. (By the way, I watched the USA play for about 10 minutes and had to turn it off. They lost to us really bad.)

Something Brandon posted about in his blog made me realize something that happened at a party on Father's day. I mentioned it just a little in this post.
But basically this man came up to us while we were cooking our meat; he had drool all over him and he could barely stand. He was so drunk and mixed his sentences with Afrikaans, I couldn't understand him but I could pick up enough to know that he was telling me that he is a horrible person.
The Christian man that we were with told us that he was just a street junkie and just kind of wrote him off, which looking back bothers me for various reasons.
He started confessing his sins to me and how he doesn't like doing the church thing.

I could see no light in his eyes; he looked so hopeless.

All I remember telling him is that God loves him anyway and He wants a relationship with him in spite of all that.
I either think he didn't understand me or he didn't like my answer but either way he didn't seem interested in what I had to say and he left.

Brandon mentions in his blog about running into a person who had no future with us in heaven. He was so deep in sin and a bad life that it seemed hopeless.

I have two thoughts; they're not profound, but two thoughts that just jumped.

1. What would Jesus have said to these people? I believe Jesus could have changed these men's life right there, instantly. I, dumb little me, said what little I could to just try to comfort him and get him on his way, I guess.

2. My opportunity is gone.
I believe that God gives us these glimpses into these people's lives to remind us why we're here and what we're supposed to be doing. I don't know much about this man or where he lives or anything and I had no clue what I could have even done, but I hope that our friend, who knows more, would want to share his life.

I hope I would want to.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard about the South African winning one of the most dynamic rugby cups of the century! France beat the All Blacks and that was about enough to send all of us Frenchies into orbit! We were so proud. I can imagine that South Africa was no different. It's one of the coolest feelings in all the world to be in a another country when they win. It's totally different than America.
Thanks for sharing with us about the man you came in contact with.
I remember some of the people God brought into my viewing and it encouraged me so much when I stepped up and did or gave what little I could. That's what I know you did...and that's what God wants of you. Next time you meet someone, you may have more courage or ability to do more...but for the moment, you did what you knew. That's all that matters, that you are Jesus to people and that you give of your heart. Keep seeking the Lost, keep growing your heart.
Love in Him, Jessica Smith

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear you enjoying the culture there. Sounds like rugby is a pretty exciting sport. But I really loved hearing the amazing growth in you as you think about the PEOPLE around you. Loved hearing what you think about your influence in their lives. You may have lost this opportunity, but think how ready you'll be for the next one. Check out Rex's blog - he writes about things that will inspire you (and me) to be better about sharing Jesus with the people around you http://rexboyles.com/blog/ I'm sure he'd love to hear from you. I love you Logan. Am so very proud of you. Are you feeling better yet?

Heather said...

Hey! It was AWESOME to be with your fam this weekend. We miss all of you so much.
And can I tell you how proud I am of you too? It's just awesome to know how our God is at work. We cherish you and what God does in you. Thanks for blessing our lives, Logan. We love you.

Kimberly Charise Heard said...

I think you should play Rugby. You're hardcore enough. I'm so proud of you for what you're doing. I know it's hard and sometimes I feel like there's no reason for me to be here but we're planting seeds little by little. I love you and I miss you and think about you everyday.

The Gearharts said...

My grain of hope for you is. "While there is life there is hope." We don't see the big picture.

And we are together with three families from New Zealand. We hear about rugby all the time. They declared a day of mourning when the All blacks lost, and they are very happy that the Springboks beat England...by association I guess we are too:) Sending some love.
Lil Amy