Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Sickly

For the past week or so, I've had some kind of cold that's kept me in the house for the better part of the week. I was only able to visit the school once last week, and today was our first day back. We were only there for about 15 minutes because, when we got there, the principal told us that he was dealing with a "mini-crisis." I didn't know what that meant, so we sat and waited. Liz and Johnathan went and looked for a classroom for their classes and came back. While I was in the hallway, I gathered (of course, I'm very perceptive) that something was wrong. And then the principal told me something was wrong. He was busy calling in students trying to find a couple of kids. He said they've been missing from the neighborhood since Thursday (today is Tuesday) and nobody knew where they were. The police were on their way and he told us we could leave.
I don't think any of us really know what to do about it. But ultimately it's our of our hands.

South Africa is, really, a filthy country as far as trash because it's everywhere.
Last week, on our way to the school I saw some people picking up trash on the side of the road. I thought to myself, "That's pointless, there's so much! They won't make any difference.
On our way back from the school on the same day, there were more than 40 bags of trash setting on the curb, waiting to be picked up. There was not a single piece of trash on the whole field.
I didn't see the potential, I just saw a trashy field that I'd probably get stabbed in.
What if Jesus had said "They're just fishermen. I can't use them" or "No, we'll never get 5 loaves to everyone?"
Just an empty field kicked me in the face that day.

Anyway, I hope everyone is well.
Please comment when you read this, it's encouraging to know who's reading this thing.
Love you.
Logan

6 comments:

Todd Andrew said...

Ha Ha Ha. Brilliant! "The Other Good Logan". Well done.

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon. I'm glad I can post comments on here now (before something was happening and I couldn't).

Keep learning. I'm glad you were kicked in the face.

Anonymous said...

Keep us posted on the missing boys. And stay away from that field - I don't think I would like to read about you getting stabbed. Kicking is fine I guess, but no stabbing, please. Love you.

tcpaessler said...

Are you still sick? Not allowed. Empty face kickin' fields rock, because through your documentation of the face-getting-kicked process, the field has subsequently kicked others in the face, albeit not as forcefully I'm sure. Did you bruise?

Kris said...

Great lesson!! Sometimes those fields are people.

Dad

Kim said...

I hope you are feeling better. Thanks for sharing your field experience. We all need to see when God is kicking us. I am glad you are so sensitive to the lessons He is always ready for us to learn. Ditto to what your dad said.

I pray the children you mentioned are safe. I am praying for you and your team.